“I felt energised the whole race” – says Andrew Chau on running the 100k Surf Coast Century using Fixx Fuel X Endurance Fuel.
“During the race I had 11 soft flasks, one was just water as a backup, the other 10 were all Fuel X. I had two soft flasks of each flavour, with about 2 scoops in the 500ml and 600ml flasks, and 1.5 scoops in the 350ml flasks. I mixed the flavours up so that I would have something different each leg of the race to avoid taste fatigue”. Read more how Andrew fuelled his 100k
How do you fuel yourself for the Buffalo Stampede trail run?
Whether you are an experienced ultra runner or new to endurance running, getting your nutrition right for Buffalo races can be very tricky.
With a huge selection of products available for runners, how can you be sure you’re making the right choice? Sports gels, bars, chews and drinks are generally mass-produced and often include ingredients with weird sounding names that can be impossible to pronounce. Not to mention the effect these products can have on your system and your running result.
The key elements needed to successfully fuel a run include hydration (fluid), electrolytes (4 key minerals to replace what you are losing) and carbohydrate (energy) intake. These are all vitally important but how can we consume all of these sufficiently while moving to keep our body moving?
The easiest way to consume all these elements is to drink a pre-mixed endurance fuel like Fixx Nutrition Fuel X.
With the right blend of electrolytes and the right quantity and type of carbohydrates, this liquid endurance fuel will also keep you energised and well hydrated. Fuel X is a powder that mixes easily with water and can be sipped from an aid station cup, drink bottle, soft flask or hydration vest during your run. It’s important to look after your body in training so you make it to your race. You spend so much time & effort to get to the start line the last thing you want to do is consume an artificial product that is full of sugar. Read what’s on the label to ensure the best possible ingredients are used that are going to help you perform at a strong level & help you recover so you can run again & again….which is what we all wish isn’t it!
How to use Fuel X Endurance Fuel at Buffalo Stampede
The day before the 100 & 50 km events
Add one scoop of your favourite Fuel X flavour to 500-700ml chilled water and sip during the day and if you can repeat even better. There are huge benefits to pre-hydrating as well as pre-loading carbohydrates which will impact how your body feels on race day.
The morning of your race
Add one scoop to 250-500ml water and sip over the hour before the start of the run.
Just before the start gun goes off, drink one all natural, small batch Fixx Cold Brew Energy 50ml shot! With an amazing 150mg naturally occurring caffeine, the equivalent of a double espresso this shot will get you focused and energised for a strong start. This is your pre-run coffee! Enjoy! Being Cold Brewed this product is low in acidity and will mean you will not necessarily need to visit the toilet.
During the run
Drink 1-2 cups of pre-mixed endurance fuel as provided at the Refreshment Stations & continue to sip from your soft flask or hydration bladder. Alternate between water & Fuel X.
When necessary during the race, consume an all-natural double espresso Fixx Cold Brew Energy Shot! This may be before a hill or stair climb where extra energy is required. Small enough to carry in your pocket or running belt, the caffeine will help you to re-focus and the carbohydrates will energise you to get you to the finish line.
After the run
Drink 1-2 cups Fuel X in the Recovery Area after you have finished your race, grab a piece of fruit & water, stretch, relax & enjoy the glory!
Things to watch out for:
- Waiting until it is too late. Get your nutrition in as early as you can to avoid the dreaded wall. Drinking at least one drink bottle of Fuel X the day before and hydrating the hour before an event will set your body up well. Continue to drink Fuel X and water from the aid stations (refreshment and water stations) to ensure your body is getting the required carbohydrates and electrolytes.
- Practice using your race nutrition during training. Using Fuel X on your long runs will help you get more out of your training and will indirectly help with your recovery too. The best way to use an endurance fuel while training is to carry a hand-held soft flask or wear a hydration vest. Your local running store sell these and will advise you on suitable options.
- Get familiar with Aid Stations. Research well ahead of time exactly what brand and products are being offered and at what km marks and practice using them during training runs.
- Avoid the dreaded GUT BOMB. Another good reason to practice using the event nutrition before race day to ensure your stomach can handle them without any adverse reaction. The great thing about Fixx products is that they only contain simple carbohydrates which are easily digested and very gut-friendly unlike many other brands on the market.
- Manage muscle cramps. No one knows exactly what causes these, we think a lack of hydration, minerals or lactic acid build up all could contribute to muscle cramping, but cramping can strike marathon runners unexpectedly despite their best training efforts. Consuming premium nutrition like Fuel X & Fuel X PRO will go to some lengths to help you with this but the fastest way to get rid of a muscle cramp mid-race is to drink a CrampFix Shot. Cramps will disappear within seconds.
- Naturally occurring caffeine is best. Produced from plants rather than acid, many nutrition companies use synthetic caffeine which is not good for your body, natural caffeine offers a more sustainable and cleaner boost of energy like that in the Fixx Cold Brew Shots which by the way taste amazing!
This all may seem somewhat overwhelming but if you do your homework as early as you can and get familiar with the premium, all natural product range of Fixx Nutrition you’ll be all set for an awesome running experience.
Important TIP: Try out Fuel X endurance fuel – it is a combination of the most important parts of nutrition – hydration, electrolytes and carbohydrates and might just be the easiest way to fuel your run.
All the Fixx Nutrition products are manufactured in their own food production facility in Burleigh Heads, Queensland. If you need any help with choosing the right products for you, feel free to contact us any time via our social pages or contact form.